I love Christmas traditions...and so do my kids. Every year it's, "Mom, when are we going to...?" One of their favorite traditions is putting up our Christmas Village. When Matt's mom passed away 13 years ago, we were all given a piece or two of her Department 56 Christmas Snow Village. Our lone schoolhouse (2nd from right) stood proudly on display each Christmas. Four years ago I decided to honor Shirley's Christmas Tradition more completely and add to the collection. I found some awesome pieces on Ebay and learned the joys of online bidding. As you can see, I got a little carried away and have forbidden myself from "ebaying" ever again! Spencer, in particular, loves this Christmas tradition and is the best helper. He removes all the houses from their boxes and reminds me exactly where everything goes and has named all the houses. He even made me promise this year that I would pass the houses along when I die. Hailey got really upset at him and said, "I don't even want to THINK about that!!!" Which of course to the mother of a teenage daughter is wonderful to hear!
But, you promised me your village when you die! But, I don't want to think about that either! (Hehehe) So pretty, I wish I could live there. Tell Spencer to pick me out a house!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it!!! And I love your willow tree nativity in the mirror--what fun!
ReplyDeleteSo cute. I love the christmas village!
ReplyDeleteAsh
YOu honestly made me cry with your post. Hopefully I can type this with tears in my eyes. I think it is becuase I remember doing the exact same thing with my mother. That was my favorite thing every year was to set up the Christmas Village. I got two pieces from my moms collection and I have displayed them proudly in my new home. I have already started looking on ebay for more. Thank you for sharing it is neat to see those traditions passed on. Love you!
ReplyDeleteChelsea...now you made ME cry! I love you too!
ReplyDeleteAllison,
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read something about you, it reminds me...of me! My mom started giving me pieces of the Department 56 Christmas village a few years ago. I only have four, but I hope to add to it! My kids love them, too. I am impressed that one has not yet been broken in the excitement of breaking them out each year. Merry Christmas!
Amy Timmerman
I like traditions too. Dallas always helps me put the ornaments on the family room tree. And he is the first to get the table set up for the "Christmas" puzzle. I love your Christmas village. What a sweet tradition.
ReplyDelete