
A week before school started, we were able to take our oldest to New York for a little "bonding" trip. When Matt and I first had children, we decided that the summer before they started High School we would take them on a trip anywhere they wanted to go. Well, this trip came up sooner than expected so it was changed from "anywhere in the world" to "anywhere in the Continental United States that we have enough miles for"! Hailey was thrilled to be going to New York. It's no secret that one of our favorite getaways as a couple is the Big Apple and Hailey was excited to take a bite herself (did I REALLY just write that?) We farmed out the other kiddos (thanks again Hazens, McLaughlins, Taotafas and Papa Paul!) and Hailey and I got on a plane (Matt was on another flight and got upgraded to first class...let's not go there). Both legs of our flight were VERY full and I was lucky to have such a skinny little seat mate. We read, watched movies, talked, and just enjoyed being together. We arrived late at night, ordered Chinese, and went right to sleep. The next morning we took a taxi into the city and checked into the Millenium Hilton. This hotel is our favorite and is right next to the World Trade Center Sight and has a view of the Statue of Liberty. Also, we always get upgraded to a suite so it was the perfect place to stay with Hailey. We had a quick lunch, got settled, and then headed out to enjoy the sights and sounds of New York City! Here we are in Grand Central Station-so pretty.

Enjoying the "chocolate bag" at McCormick and Schmick's

There's nothing like New York Night Life. Hailey said she felt like she'd been here before because everything looked so familiar from seeing it in movies/on tv so many times.

I love these two (notice the Sour Patch fruit in Hailey's hand...this in another one of my favorite things about New York. They have individual packs of sour watermelon, cherry, peach, blueberry, etc.---California only has sour watermelon)

Fun on the Subway (I guess goofiness runs in the family-see previous New York post)

At one point, we were the only ones on the Subway and it was really late at night. Hailey decided to channel her inner goofball and was running back and forth swinging on the poles (good thing she stopped short of pole-dancing...although her mama gave it a good college try!)

In an attempt to provide Hailey with a little culture, one of our stops was to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I LOVE this place and could spend days here. Hailey said it was worse than school. Oh well, at least we tried! On a sidenote: Matt was teased mercilessly by us for walking around in shorts and athletic shoes-SO touristy.

She did kind of enjoy the "modern art" section of the museum. We both thought this face made our of black patent leather shoes was pretty school, if not a little scary.

My absolute favorite picture of the trip

Hubba Hubba!

The "temple"...I kind of like ours better.

Arent' we cute?

A walk through Central Park

Believe it or not, in all our trips to New York, we have NEVER taken a walk through Central Park (maybe that's because most of our trips have been in the Winter?) Hailey insisted that this be part of our itinerary (I think she secretly wanted to run through singing "How Does She Know?") I have to say, this was one of my favorite parts of the trip. It feels like a different world in the park-it is so beautiful.

What's she looking for?

Hailey's attempt at "posing" her parents

An entire day of the trip was dedicated to shopping and finding Hailey cute clothes for High School. Unfortunately, this was our most frustrating day as believe it or not...shopping with a 13 year old isn't so much fun. Matt was a VERY patient daddy until the last store when we'd been shopping ALL day and she still hadn't found very much-that girl is one picky teenager! He actually told her she couldn't leave until she found a pair of jeans! She refused, Matt thought she was being a brat...and the rest is teenage history!

Another "teenage"moment

All better now! Our last day we went to see the Broadway production of "Young Frankenstein". For some reason, we didn't take any pictures. Go figure. The play was awesome (I LOVE Broadway!!!) Hailey thought it was so fun. I highly recommend it.

After a VERY fun, exhausting, and full trip. We will always remember this special time just with our Hailey. We love you Hailey girl.
That's a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.
ReplyDeleteGees, lucky girl! I love New York! I'm supposed to go next month, but I'm not thinking this 7 months pregnant body will be able to handle all the walking. You guys are such cute parents to take her. I'm sure she feels pretty dang lucky to spend all that time with you and in such a cool place!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun adventure with your cute teenager.
ReplyDeleteTake me with you next time! I was only able to spend about 6 hours in New York City one time and have been dying to go back ever since!
ReplyDeleteHailey is beautiful!
What a neat thing to do! I love New York too. It looks like you guys had a great time.
ReplyDeleteHailey is one lucky girl! A trip like that so young...she's setting herself up for success! I heart New York too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun tradition! I heart NYC, too.
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous! I need a vacation...and about being a single mom, I still am, Anthony leaves for Chicago in the morning! AAAAAHHHHH....xo mo
ReplyDeleteLove the posed pic of you & Matt in the park...
ReplyDeleteand tell him his tennis shoes with his shorts there looks like something Curt would pick out all by himself (yes, I just bagged on my hubby)...I'm a little shocked at his fashion or lack of in the fashion capital of the USA!!! I'm glad you had such a great time---and Spencer is ALWAYS a welcome addition to our clan. Hailey girl is one lucky teen!
What a lucky girl. How fun must that have been to be able to spend time with just her!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. NYC is my favorite city in the whole world!
ReplyDeleteHow fun!! I cannot belive Hailey is in high school! I love the pictures and I'm glad you had so much fun!
ReplyDeleteNext Blogapalooza in New York???
ReplyDeleteWhat? No washing in gas station sinks in NYC? :) Looks like a blast -- I can't believe you have a HS-er -- I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Middls school. You must be the youngest HS Mom ever!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad Hailey had a blast. We are taking the kids when they each turn sweet 16!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for OUR next trip, I am counting the days!
I always feel silly being the ump-teenth person to comment on your blog, I do not have anything creative to say. Looked like fun and had a good time seeing Matt this weekend!
ReplyDeletePerfect trip for a teenage girl!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous tradition! I lovelovelove New York and it looks like you had perfect weather and loads of fun. Great pictures, too...send her to this blog entry when she thinks her parents aren't fair or whatever. Just a little reminder. :)
ReplyDeleteLike I think I said before, can I be part of your family?!!! How fun! I can't believe she is going to high school! No!!!!!!!! I have my eyes and ears glued on how you do it and survive ok?!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteso much fun. Will you take me on a vacation? I am a lot of fun and very clean.
ReplyDeleteUmmm- can I please be in your family? And I would like to pick Hawaii! How fun for Hailey (and you and Matt)!!!
ReplyDeleteOur friends do that with their kids-- and we are TOTALLY going to do that too! I think it is such a great bonding time.
ReplyDeleteI have never even been to New York! Lucky girl and what fun parents!
ReplyDeleteI like that idea!!! Might have to steal that one... :-)
ReplyDeleteWow, your blog reminded me so much of my NYC trip days! Can't wait to do the same for our kids!
ReplyDeleteI want to be your daughter.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea. Way to bond before the high school years begin.
How fun! What a great idea. I love it.
ReplyDeleteNYC rocks!!!!!
Atta girl Hailey...I agree the MET bites! The best part of that place is the screenplays they sell on the sidewalk in front of the museum. I once bought Harry Potter and thought we would act it out for FHE. I think it is still in my suitcase.
ReplyDelete