October 13, 2008

Confessions of a 36 year old Cardiac Patient...

So I don't have to repeat myself over and over on the phone to family and friends and so all of you fellow bloggers can stop wondering what my "mystery" problem is...I've decided to post an update on my condition. Saturday night of Conference Weekend I headed off to the ER for chest pain and shortness of breath that had been bugging me off and on since the previous Tuesday. I was given tests and admitted to the cardiac ward of Scripps Encinitas. After EKGs, cardiac enzyme tests, nitro, oxygen, the "oh so lovely" morphine dose, and observation- I was released Sunday afternoon with no answers except something was wrong. Last week I was given an echocardiogram at the dr.'s office and saw my cardiologist today. The echocardiogram came back normal, which means I do not have any valve problems. This week I will be having a chest CT for pulmonary embolism with IU contrast, as well as an Exercise Myocardial Perfusion Test (yes Rob, you can laugh at my big words). What we do know is that I have diastolic hypertension...in other words, my heart is working too hard and is causing me to have chest pain, shortness of breath, plus I'm really tired (which is highly annoying for a mother of four who also has a job). What we are trying to figure out now is WHY. My cardiologist has put me on a high-blood pressure medication which should make my chest pain feel better, but will also make me even more tired. What fun! SO...hopefully we will get this figured out soon. Thanks for all your sweet thoughts and prayers. ***By the way...is that a great picture or what? Rob and Rachel came to see me in the hospital so Rob and Matt could give me a blessing and so Rachel could cheer me up by making me pose for cheesy pictures.

36 comments:

  1. N I C E pic--way to bring humor to your crazy situation! I'm not as funny as Rachel, but I can hold your hand & talk and sometimes even understand the Dr. lingo--I take you for your CT on Thursday if you want the company:) You're just fortunate to have attentive Dr.'s! Hey, if nothing else...you can just prove that after 15 yrs Matt makes your heart go pitter-patter even faster than it should! My kids & mom are also including you in their prayers...you are LOVED by many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what kind of "procedure" does Matt think he's going to perform here?? LOVE that you guys took goofy pics...I hope they can give you some good answers soon...I'm sure the waiting just makes you crazy! Can I take Sammy Thursday after school for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shay...it's a date! I'll take you to dinner too. The CT is at 5:00. Is that too crazy for you? Let me know.

    Tammi...Sammy would love a play date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT IS HILARIOUS! :)

    Use it as your Christmas card... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the wind beneath my wings (hehehe)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your heart is so big and loving that is hurting. That's my take. Be sure to take care of yourself first. I'm thinking about ya and hoping everything is resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are a lot of big words, I think it is because you have such a big heart. Have the doctors checked that yet? You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope they figure things out soon. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness...I am so sorry you have been through all of this. I went through a similar experience during my first pregnancy and it is no fun.

    Hope all goes well & that you're able to get a nap in here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear. LOVE the picture though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that picture gives me trauma. you look happy about what he's about to do!

    Wishing you a fast diagnosis and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just refuse to believe that my
    'baby' could possible be a cardiac patient! Ok, I will pull my head out of the sand enough to laugh at your pic and say some more prayers that this will be something easily dealt with. At least now you have perfect permission to take a nap, rest and get in some reading. Please do just that?
    Love you, love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting an oil check with your tune- up I see.


    (Rob, I was so glad to be able to say that!!!)

    Hope everything turns out okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love you soooo much, you are Amazing allison!!! everything will be just fine....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey did the docs check the shape of your valves? I only ask because my FIL had a heart attack in his mid-late 50's, and the only reason is because he has a 'corkscrew' valve, which is a genetic wild card. So Bryan probably has the same thing, oh boy what fun! I'm sure they have checked it out for you in xrays, echo-cardiograms, etc, but just another thing to check off the list. It requires a stint and a short hospital stay, then the valve works properly. Our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, that is the funniest and most flattering picture ever! Your butt looks so small! JEALOUS!

    I hope everything turns out OK with the tests and you can figure out what is going on. Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really hope you get everything figured out soon! SO not fun!! Way to keep positive by posing for a funny photo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best wishes, and hopefully they will figure it out soon! I'll be thinking of you! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad they're being thorough & hopefully you'll get some answers and feel better soon.

    Love the picture, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes! This is really scarey -- I am glad you are still laughing through it all. You are never far away in my thoughts, and for sure in my prayers -- I know you love to get away, and all, but hospital stays are never good. Stick to the spa, and GET WELL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tell Matt that I don't think girls need those...
    What a scary and humbling experience. I hope everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are humorous even when things go wrong. I admire that!! I can't say that for myself. Thinking about you!
    Love, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh NO! I didn't realize! You'll be great, I'm sure!

    My cousin's husband just (like a week ago) woke up in the middle of the night because his heart felt weird and my cousin was on bed rest so she couldn't take him to the hospital and the ambulance came and blah blah blah. but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with his heart either! They just know its working too hard for his age and fitness and stuff. Whats with all the unexplained heart issues...

    ReplyDelete
  24. That picture is hilarious! I'm glad you're keeping your spirits up, when things are still so unknown. Good luck, and you'll be in our prayers. Keep laughing... it's good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You just brightened my day. I had to LOL. Absolutely LOVE the photo. I guess Rachel and I have the same sense of humor. You actually look adorable in your gown. You're Hot!
    I am here for you too. You are always there for everyone else. Let us take care of you for a change.
    You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the picture, but so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. We'll definitely be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. First off, I do love the picture. Secondly, I so hope they figure it all out quickly. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. DEFINITELY keep us all updated.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe it was all those Sprinkles! Blasted cupcakes!!! :) I wish you all the best with fixing this. Remind me if I am ever hospitalized to invite the four of you to come see me! Nothing is better than laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Allison,
    Laughter is the best medicine..Thought I was going to die laughing at that photo! You do make everything fun..I remember that about you in our growing up years and stake dances :) take good care of yourself. Please send amanda my love. I remember her as a little girl and don't think she remembers me, so I did not want her to think I was stalking her on her blog if I posted something. She is amazing mom/woman to be sharing her trials.

    Luv,

    Stacy Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yikes! You are too young and beautiful to be going through this, m'dear.

    Good luck and keep us updated.

    The photo is classic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck!
    Sounds like your learning alot of new medical info and words. You sound so smart and sophisticated. I love it...that lingo is my second language!! I'm a nurse.
    Anyways...I'm glad to hear you don't give your kids flu shots either. I do not believe in the flu shot...don't get it, won't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. hahah, what a kodak moment! oh and hey about the reply card, don't worry. we'll add you to the rsvp list! can't wait to see you guys

    ReplyDelete
  33. Try to take it easy, and feel better soon. I hope they get it under control - the heart is nothing to mess with!

    That picture is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hang in there and don't watch "Mystery Diagnosis" on TLC. It will freak you out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Way too many big words. Just reading those words gave me chest pains.

    Good luck and take it as easy as possible!

    ReplyDelete

My "Love Notes"