June 30, 2009

Jammin

A couple of weeks ago, sweet Karen in my ward drove to Oxnard and picked us up some gorgeous strawberries. Oxnard strawberries are known for making fabulous jam so...there's a first time for everything! Rachel and I had both never made jam and couldn't believe how easy it was. Between class parties and graduations-we made four batches of jam. I love freezer jam because it tastes so fresh and I LOVE big chunks of strawberries in my jam. YUM. I caught the bug and ended up making 8 more batches of strawberry, raspberry, and peach THAT DAY. I think we have enough jam to last us for quite some time. ***Funny story-to try and keep the summertime "grazing" by the kids to a minimum, I posted kitchen hours in my kitchen-if the kitchens not open, STAY OUT! Anyway, I was looking for something in the outside freezer and noticed there was an empty bottle of jam. I asked the kids who had eaten it and apparently my boys were so hungry during "kitchen closed" time that they at the jar as a snack. Hmmm. Maybe I need to lighten up a bit.

14 comments:

  1. love this time of year with strawberries!! hey, i had a quick question for you. could you email me at karajaynekelly[@]gmail[.]com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys do not get that the kitchen is ever off limits. You have some clever boys. Now I'm craving jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given up on the whole "kitchen closed" thing. It drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS, but I figure I gotta pick my battles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The revolving door on the pantry and fridge are my biggest pet peeves of Summer.

    You two are quite the domestic goddesses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting for my Jar. Ha. You two make Jammin look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will trade you some apricot freezer jam for some strawberry. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart boys!!

    Seriously, those strawberries look divine! I bet they made the best jam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could use some JAM, or ice cream, or chocolate or just a piece of bread right about now! mmmm...thanks for the mental picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i need that jam, now!!!!!!
    i miss you, & love you,
    tell rachel i JUST got her message, yesterday
    i am an idiot!!!!
    xoxo
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm... jam....

    just for the record, i've been lugging your "prize" around with me for the past week. why can i not make it to a post office while on vacation?

    maybe you'll get it soon. maybe you won't. but rest assured i have it for you, all wrapped up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! You better lock that freezer if I come to town too because it sounds delicious. I want your recipe. I have been into making lots of homemade bread, and that jam would go really well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow.......not even fair. i just saw this post, and those strawberries look insane. I just finished off the last jar of freezer jam we had the other day. With some of that white potato bread from costco. Best breakfast ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhh Yum!!!! Reminds me of my Aunt Shirley, the Queen of strawberry freezer jam! I bet matt loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUMMY! I love homemade jam. I made some last month while my mom was here too. It is THE BEST. If you get sick of ALL yours...send it my way :)

    ReplyDelete

My "Love Notes"