July 26, 2008

My Tough Mama

This lovely lady (my amazing mom) spent the last week in the hospital recuperating from a bilateral total knee replacement. Yes...that's BOTH knees...at the SAME TIME! For at least a decade my poor mama has been gritting her teeth and bearing horrible knee pain on a daily basis. She finally decided she had ENOUGH and with all of our blessings she underwent an extensive and painful surgery on 7/18. The day after surgery she was able to get up and take a few steps (with the help of a walker of course) and not even a week later she is zipping around the hospital and even going up and down stairs. She is AMAZING! All of the doctors and therapists are astounded at all she has been able to accomplish. I had the opportunity of spending four days of the last week with her in the hospital (thanks to all of you who took my kiddos and helped make that possible). I knew my mom is one tough cookie, but even I was impressed by her this week. We explained to our kids that Grandma was getting "bionic knees". When Sammy asked what that meant Matt told her she'll be able to leap tall buildings. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised. I love you Mom!

5 comments:

  1. Carol, you ARE amazing! I know you have been through a lot, I don't think I could handle it. I am just so glad you have such great, devoted daughters and husband to take care of you. You deserve every minute of pampering. Feel better, we are thinking of you!

    Allison, This is right up your alley. You are a nurturer! Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW~ both knees! That's why we didn't see her in church last Sunday when we were there. She always has been strong that's for sure! She really CAN leap tall buildings

    Aloha,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job robo Grandma!
    I have hardware too. It makes the airport exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought she was bionic even before the surgery! I agree---you are lucky to have nurturers as daugthers. hmmm..wonder where they get that from?! I'm glad to hear everything is going so smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to her. My mom just had a left knee replacement in January, and although there are plenty of setbacks during recovery, she's enjoying the fact that she's in much less pain now.

    ReplyDelete

My "Love Notes"