
Today is my Dad's 50th Birthday (which would make me around 25 or so). I had to take a moment to brag that I have the BEST father in the whole wide world. Growing up, people would tell my dad that they felt sorry for him because he didn't have any boys, but Dad always made us feel like he wouldn't want it any other way. He loved his girls and never failed to show it. My dad's upbringing wasn't the easiest. He was the youngest of four boys and his own father died when he was eleven, and then he lost his oldest brother when he was a teenager. He put himself through college (GO Cougars) and graduate school and has always been the best provider for his family. He drove the same old Mercedes for YEARS while putting us all through college; he never bought himself new clothes, but always made sure we had what WE needed.

My dad LOVES to have fun and go on vacations and growing up we always took trips to Hawaii, Palm Springs, yearly Ski Trips, etc. I have so many "trip" memories. One we still laugh about is every time we went to Hawaii, he'd let himself into our room in the morning, fling open the curtains and exclaim, "It's a beautiful day in paradise!" till we all woke up. Obnoxious then, funny now.

I have bragging rights over all my sisters that I "made" Mom and Dad Grandma and Grandpa. Not only is my Dad the BEST dad, but he is the BESTEST PAPA in the whole world. When my kids were little he would come over almost every night when Matt was out of town on business and help me bathe and put the kids to bed. He would also come and get the kids every Saturday morning and take them out for doughnuts and take days off of work to take them all to Disneyland. He constantly tells Hailey that she is the "perfect" grandaughter, teases and tickles and plays with my boys, and loves his "Squeak" to pieces.

Dad expected A LOT from us growing up. He always made sure we did our chores and helped Mom around the house...and he led by example-it was common for him to be seen vacuuming. He treated us wonderfully, but we were never "coddled". Dad had a way of empowering all of us as women. There was never any question that we would all attend college--education was important and so was standing up for ourselves. He and Mom taught us all to be strong women. He spent countless years coaching all of us in soccer and was a dedicated father.

I can honestly say that my Dad is one of my favorite people to be around and spend time with. He has a wicked sense of humor and is always up for a good time. He is also very loving-every time I see him I get a big hug and a kiss. My Dad has been very supportive of me in this trial I've been going through. He calls me all the time to ask how I'm doing and has assured me from the beginning that he KNOWS I will be okay. Last week he gave me a blessing that all will be well and I will be cured. Since that day, I have felt so much peace and I have physically felt SO MUCH better. I am so grateful for the priesthood in my life and for what a wonderful example of it that my Dad is. I know my Heavenly Father loves me immensely because he blessed me with a loving, supportive, amazingly fun, and WONDERFUL father who continues to teach me and take care of me. I love you Dad and Happy Birthday!
okay, now i am crying. i need to go watch the office so i can laugh.
ReplyDeletethis post is amazing, can i copy it for my blog? dad really is the best...
sometimes i think about a "knight in shining armour" and then today i realized he's been here all along, his name is dad.
i love you so much and i like dad being 50, because then i am 20...woo hoo!
mo
What an amazing guy and a very sweet tribute!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Rick!
ReplyDeleteYou ARE very lucky! He is a great guy! I have lots of memories with your sister and him- especially on the soccer field! Isn't is fun to see your dad with our own kids? I love it! Glad your feeling a little bit better.
I had forgotten that Terry and your dad had the same b'day. I just finished doing one for Terry's b'day.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing post! You really "caught" what he's all about. Happy B'day Rick~
Aloha
What a beautiful tribute. Fathers are so important. I'm thankful that you have one that you've been able to rely on all your life and in trying times like now. What a blessing.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Do people tell you all the time that your dad is handsome? He is! So is my dad and I used to hate it when people told me how good looking he was (ie: parent teacher conferences when I was 16. hello!) But, now I am proud!
Happy B-day Ricky! He really adds so much excitement to life... I adore him!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet tribute! He is a fun guy--and a great story teller, I'll attest to that! Happy big 5-0!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute!! I hope he has a good birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Rick! I have to admit too that you are a great dad! Allison is so lucky to have you. Since Allison is my best friend that means You are a little bit like my dad too (Ha Ha)!!
ReplyDeletebtw i look like a horse in that picture...ugh!
ReplyDeleteDad's are the best. What a great tribute.
ReplyDeleteLoved this post. Great dads are priceless...glad you've got so many people who love you during this trying time!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to your father.
ReplyDeleteNow I know why you are the way you are. What a blessing to have such wonderful parents.
I have to agree, I love your dad too!!
ReplyDelete