January 9, 2009

A Mystery Wrapped in An Enigma

Seriously, that's what my gastroenterologist said...that I'm a "mystery wrapped in an enigma and an enigma wrapped in a mystery". He also called me a ZEBRA, which is medical speak for something unexpected...you know, like you hear the hoofbeats and expect a horse and it's really a zebra? I like this new Dr. He seemed to really listen to me and is going to work with my Primary Care and Endocrinologist to figure me out...and SURPRISE!!!! He's ordered MORE TESTS. Next week I get to have a colonoscopy (I was hoping to wait till I was at least 50 to experience this unparalleled joy) AND an endoscopy. What fun. I also am having a thyroid/parathyroid ultrasound done the same day by my Endocrinologist. My Gastroenterologist's thought is that this is NOT carcinoid syndrome. He explained that the levels that came back with my tests were not high enough to diagnose carcinoid. Ummm....isn't this something I could have been told sooner? I spent the Holidays thinking I had cancer for crying out loud. His opinion is that it is something even rarer. Okay, let's just figure this out PLEASE!!! I'll keep everyone posted on my lovely "procedures"...I know you're all DYING to hear how my colonoscopy goes on Thursday. Happy Weekend to all.

18 comments:

  1. holy freaking guacamole!!!!

    what the h is going on...i guess second opinions are important.

    and, no not my other mother, well, yes my other mother but ALSO my best friend too (a girl can have more than one ya'know!!!) you are an amazing sister and i really wish we lived closer, i am sad about it every day, literally.

    so guess what? i started j.c. again, yup i'm back on the wagon...ugh!!!

    let's get this darn mystery wrapped in an enigma that looks like a zebra thing figured out ASAP

    i love you!!!!!!
    mo mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i think you guys need to come down tomorrow night so we can hang out! el patio and a movie? de ja vu!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are you girls doing up so late???

    Maybe, just maybe this new guy will find out what it actually is. The whole holiday season with that cloud hanging over your head. One thing for sure, it's good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!
    El Patio brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, we ARE all dying to hear how everything goes. Didn't I already tell you....no more saying you're sorry!!!! (Do you like how I keep ordering you around and we've never even really "met"!!!!) But, just like I told Rachel yesterday, I consider you a "real life" friend and we will meet someday. Hopefully sooner than later.

    I am so sorry that the questions are still looming. Hang in there. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like this Dr. too! I love it when you feel like you are being LISTENED to! My younger sister has to have colonoscopies every so often and says the procedure itself is not bad it is the drink before hand that is hard. I wish you all the good luck!! You are AMAZINGLY strong through all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know what I can do. Breakfast was great the other day -- and those pictures of Kade you took were so adorable. Thanks Al. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, what a pain in the butt. Literally this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes---- It's the drink the night before that sucks---I could only get 1/2 of it down. It was absolutely sick.
    You can do it!

    You are a champion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for keeping us updated. After you are done testing we need a girls night out or even better a whole
    weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about this trial and I hope and pray that you will get answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love finding a good doctor. Especially when they listen. I'm glad this guy is really helping you out. You'll be in our prayers (as always) and good luck the night before. The drink isn't fun, but if you can get answers, it's worth almost anything, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently read the funniest colonoscopy post on Diane's blog. I hope she doesn't mind my linking to it. A good sense of humor during a miserable trial is a must. Good luck with your tests and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Zebra?? As the child of a Dr., I admit I have NEVER heard of such a thing, but I am glad that at least for now it's not looking like cancer.

    I don't think either an endoscopy or a colonoscopy sounds very fun -- so sorry you have to do both. Hang in there and I'll be praying that you get some answers soon! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, sorry about the colonoscopy! Please, let us know how it all goes. We'll all be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, I am with ya on the colonoscopy. Totally was hoping to wait until I was much older. I'm there with you though. I have to have one done too...colon cancer runs in the fam and I'm having issues. Just picture me holding your hand going through it too. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Those doctors should know you inside and out soon enough. Hope these bring some answers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pain in the butt, literally. I just had to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple months ago. The prep is way worse than the procedures.

    I'm sorry you are going through this.

    Zebra is very big this season.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I totally understand how you feel! I had thyroid issues a couple years back and it totally throws you out of whack, and the doctors are never sure what's going on. And I still have issues and have had all those fun tests done! So I feel your pain--be brave :)

    ReplyDelete

My "Love Notes"