So...many of you have heard that the First Presidency is reading a letter in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday encouraging members to get behind the Protect Marriage Act. We are joining forces with a Christian Coalition to protect the sanctity of marriage.
I've even been informed (I do work in Church Public Affairs after all) that reporters may be outside wanting to talk to members on Sunday.
What do you think???
I just really hope they don't talk to me. I have very complicated feelings on this as my husband's brother is gay.
ReplyDeleteI think you better be dressed to kill just in case they do come to talk to you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so over the crazy mormon stereotype.
(ask Rob sometime about the UPS lady during the first marriage ammendment go around. I giggle everytime I think about it.)
Heather...don't worry. I'll be wearing my new dress AND my spanx. But of course, they'll interview Rachel instead. She is so stinkin' photogenic it makes me sick!
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me that this is going back to a vote... I understand that this is a consitutional amendment they are looking for now, but the public made themselves understood when Prop 22 came around. Only 3 counties didn't pass Prop 22... are the lawmakers expecting something so different this time? I don't know what to think. I have friends who are gay and I think they deserve the right to be happy, but does their happiness hinge on being married?
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of when the church hadn't given the priesthood to black men. There were still worthy, active black men in the church who were happy regardless of what might or might not happen. Many would have continued as worthy members even if they'd never been given the priesthood.
Bring 'em on!! I accept all people as people and they are allowed to "choose" to live their lives as they want. Doesn't bother me. However, the santity of marraige is something that I feel very strongly about.
ReplyDeletethanks for informing us. i had no idea they were going to do this. love you!
ReplyDeleteThe Church doesn't really get involved with politics that often, so obviously and especially coming from the 1st Presidency it is something that is important for us to stand up for. I too know several gay people, and love them, however, regardless of their choices, they should not be allowed to participate in something as sacred and special as marriage. What kind of message does this send our children? And as Summer reminded me today it's Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve! I can't wait to hear what the letter says!!! Too bad I will be in Utah...I will be calling you Allison...LOVE YOU!!! mo mo
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Nancy and Amanda. This is not a political issue but a MORAL one. The Christian Coalition in North County has been asking, "Where are the Mormons on this?" They remembered what a "force" we were last time. I'm glad we are stepping up and doing something.
ReplyDeleteI think it is our responsibility to stand up for what is right. ESPECIALLY if our First Presidency is encouraging us to do so. I have no problem with homosexuals and won't get in their "business", but what disturbs me is when they try to make it "my" business. They can live how they want, but the bottom line is...Marriage is Sacred and should remain so.
In Europe there have been suits brought against churches for not allowing same sex marriages in their buildings, as well as pastors who have been sued for preaching against homosexuality. Scary. Can you imagine the church getting sued for not allowing same-sex marriages in the temple? It can happen people. There is definitely an "agenda" that I for one do not want forced upon me and my family.
Families are sacred and so is Marriage.
AMEN!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree that marriage between man and woman is a sacred institution, and homosexuals can and DO find happiness without being married. It's not even about the health or monetary benefit anymore like it was 10 years ago, because in all corporations, they need to include 'partner' in the same category as 'spouse'. I'm fine with that. But I am SO not okay with the homosexual community taking a special union such as (the Iraq, LOL) marriage, and insisting that they have a RIGHT to it. So sorry that I do not want the minority to become the majority. This is not a civil rights issue, either. Can you tell I am passionate about this? :)
ReplyDeleteDang, I was waiting for my close-up, but no cameras showed up! Thanks for the insight Allison. You are such a good Media Rep.
ReplyDeleteWhen the prophet speaks the debate is over. We must stand up for what is right.
ReplyDeleteI'm just glad reporters didn't come around as we gathered in the church parking lot dressed in our pioneer clothes ready to leave for the trek. That would have been fun!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Diane. Now the only problem is walking the fine line between loving, accepting and not offending our gay acquaintances-friends-and family members..and standing firm on this issue. Time to re-read 'The Family: A Proclamation to the World.'
ReplyDeleteIt's very interesting to hear what's happening. You're on the front lines right now, and I applaud your courage. I am passionate about the sanctity of marriage, but I am not sure I could sound intelligent in front of a camera. Scary!
ReplyDelete