It's A Toomah...
Now we've just got to find the little bugger(s)! Last night I received my newest test results from my doctor: the 5HIAA test (which is a byproduct of seratonin and a marker for carcinoid syndrome) came back positive for the second time, with results elevated from the previous test. We are moving forward with a CT scan, a octreotide scan, and a visit to a GI specialist. Merry Freakin' Christmas! At least now we know what direction we are moving in. I am staying positive and know that everything will turn out. We told the kids tonight that the doctors think Mom has the big "C", but that I'm going to be okay. They know I've been sick for quite some time and we wanted to be up front with them about my situation. We also told them they're getting a trampoline for Christmas to soften the blow. I have so much love and support in my life and I'm truly blessed with a strong support system to weather this storm. I have felt everyone's love, support, and prayers and know that they will help my family get through this.
A little info:
- Carcinoid tumors are rare tumors that develop from hormone-producing cells called enterochromaffin cells that occur throughout the body with approximately 65% originating in the gastrointestinal tract and 25% in the lungs.
- Carcinoid tumors can occur almost anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract but primarily in the stomach, small intestine, appendix, colon, and rectum.
- Carcinoid tumors can be benign or malignant.
- The carcinoid syndrome is a syndrome that is caused by the release of hormones from carcinoid tumors, but only 10% of carcinoid tumors cause the carcinoid syndrome.
- The carcinoid syndrome may include manifestations such as abdominal pain, wheezing, facial flushing, diarrhea, heart disease, and "carcinoid crisis."
- Metastatic carcinoid tumors can be diagnosed by CT or MRI scans, indium 111 octreotide scans, and bone scans.
- Carcinoid tumors can be managed with observation, surgery, cryotherapy, radiofrequency ablation, hepatic artery embolization, interferon therapy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Sending Love and Happy thoughts your way.... picturing you in perfect health for the New Year.... You're an amazing woman and mother..... please rely on friends and family to help you weather the storm..... Much Love and Merry Christmas! This too shall pass.....~Jen Gaetani xoxo
ReplyDelete&^%$#@%^%(*&)*&R%$!!!! Said in between TONS of hope mixed with tears! --WE will get you through this---it's YOUR turn to sit back and have others help you! You're in my thoughts 24/7. Love you to the sky...
ReplyDeleteHi, I am friends with Diane. My dad was diagnosed with Carcinoid Syndrome 11 years ago. I would be happy to talk any time.
ReplyDeleteTauna
The big C sucks! I am sorry.
ReplyDeleteYou have been so brave through all of this and that is great. But take some time to be angry, sad, scared...whatever you need to feel. Let others be brave for you for a while. And then you can be brave again.
You are in my prayers. With much love.
I wish there was more I could do for you. I'm sitting here in tears, filled with hope for a fast recovery for you. I know how relieving it is to have a diagnosis, regardless. You will make it through. Please let me know if I can do anything. Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteYou already know how I feel after countless tallks! "I'll be the wind beneath your wings"!!! Ha (to soon?) You know I love you girl!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your outlook and attitude. Everything will be alright. Hang in there sweetie.
ReplyDelete(Tauna is an amazing woman and would be a great person to chat with!)
Chad & I send our love. We are sitting here in bed reading about your diagnosis. We are stunned!
ReplyDeleteWe love you and are here for you and your family.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou're enthusiasm for life is infectious--I know you're going to get through this. Since Rach's going to be the wind beneath your wings, I'll be the hands that rub your shoulders to relief okay?!? ;) Love you too much Al.
ReplyDeleteSweet Allison:
ReplyDeleteI love you lots and pray for only good news.
What news right before Christmas! We love you and are thinking of you and your family! I hope you can enjoy the holidays- despite the news. I know you have amazing friends and family to help you out through this trial. Love you!
ReplyDeleteOh my. I am amazed at your attitude. (toomah...funny) That is going to help you SO MUCH...and so will all our thoughts and prayers. Try to enjoy this beautiful season. Your a fabulous person.
ReplyDeleteI will pray for you and your family. And I agree... your attitude is AMAZING! Just know that when those days come that your attitude isn't so great about all of this, you have so many people who care about you and just know that you will get through this. Stay positive, my friend. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Here is my e-mail if you want to get in touch with my friend Tauna. diane.naylor@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteMay you find peace and comfort in our Savior. Merry Christmas.
Allison....let us know if there is anything we can do! We just love your family and will help out however we can. Hang in there...I know you will! You are an amazing woman!! We love you and will keep you in our prayers!!
ReplyDeleteHi! You won a free session of photography from Blue Lily- your name was submitted for the contest and you were chosen!
ReplyDeletePlease contact me at your convenience to discuss details- if you've heard about this already, sorry it took me so long to get to you.
Merry Christmas!
wendy from Blue Lily
wendy at bluelilyphotography dot com
Oh my. I am sorry to hear this news. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeletejust thought I would check on you before bed. Your blog message was not what I was hoping for darn it! Allison, just want you to know I love you and your family. I pray that you will have peace and comfort in this new journey. You know we all love you and that we are all here for you. May god bless you and your family. Sometimes he makes us walk those tough paths. Love you to pieces. Enjoy your Christmas and forget about this crap for a day!
ReplyDeleteAllison, We have been thinking of you and wondering! Our prayers are with you and your family. Keep us posted.. We love you! Aunt Launa, Kari , Gina, Lori and Marci
ReplyDeleteyou have always been such an example to me of what an awesome mom is...we love you guys and you're in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou have been such an example of strength through all of the tests and such, I know you will carry the same strength with you and your family as you all bear down and depend on the Lord's 'Tender Mercies'. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteWithout trial there cannot be growth.
Allison, I am so so sorry to read this. I can't believe it. I will remember you in my prayers. Please keep up posted.
ReplyDeleteHow can my first reaction be anything but big tears?...I'm so sorry you have to go through this...and I feel AWFUL that I didn't know when i was whining about Marcus' bad news from work...and I want you to know that I am here for you, PLEASE let me help ease your load or be a shoulder anytime you need one! You're truly the best sister I could ever dream of and I know that your gift of faith and closeness to the Spirit will get you through this. I LOVE YOU!
ReplyDeleteYou know I am going to have Arnold's voice in my head all day now, don't you??
ReplyDeleteI am glad you found out what you are dealing with... that is a good start.
Now go kick those Toomah's butts!!
I read that seeing your smiling face the whole time. I love that you are ready to face this head-on, you are amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you have a great support system of friends and family that adore you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I second Shayla's expletives. I am sorry that this is something you are going through. You are an amazing woman - I always hope to see you in R.S. every week and hope that you will make a comment because they always apply to my life for some crazy reason and I love what you have to say. I wish you all the best as you fight this. I make some mean cookies if you ever need a fix. Love to you...
ReplyDeleteThinking and praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear. The 'C' word is very scary. Hope you can find peace through it all this holiday season. Sounds like you have great support.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your news. I hope things will turn out positive!! Keep staying positive, you are amazing. God bless.
ReplyDeleteWEENIE! You are more then welcome to join in on the Bow party. I would LOVE to see you!! I love you so much and pray for you daily!
ReplyDeletei love you allison and i am so proud of you. i am inspired by your courage, strength and wisdom. you amaze me every day and you are in my heart constantly...i am here for you anytime.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
your baby sister
mo mo
Hope you had a memorable Christmas. Sorry to hear the news. Remember that we are thinking and praying for you and your family. We love you. The Baggett's
ReplyDeleteOkay, so the fight is on!! I am aching for a chance to get together and talk. Let me know when you will be in SJC and maybe we could get Tracy and Jodie also and give you some love!
ReplyDeletelove you
Adrienne
Aw frick. We Lees here in Utah are praying for you, and I know that your spunk and passion for life will kick the big C's ass. Can I say that? Love you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteOh, man. Not the news I was hoping for but I love your attitude and I know you will get through with grace and courage. Hope your holidays are happy.
ReplyDeleteAllison: Please come to the bow party and I'll have Adrienne come and we can have a reunion of sorts.
ReplyDeleteLove you so much,
Tracy
Allison! I can't believe your outlook and positive attitude with this! What an example that when life gives you lemons to make lemonade! I can see you already have some strong faith and I think that will get you through this trial. I hope that all is well and that this tumor leaves your body quickly. XOXO
ReplyDeleteYour attitude is amazing! You are such a great example. I'll be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a great example of hope and faith through rough times. Thank you!! P.S. gotta love Dr. Bandakwala (sp?).
ReplyDeleteAllison and Family - We have kept you in our thoughts and prayers. Please know that we are confindent in your strength and spirit and know you will beat this.
ReplyDeleteWe Love You,
Brent, Tanya, & Mia
thinking of you day & night...always
ReplyDeletei love you
mo mo
Waiting for an update. Hope all is well. praying for you.
ReplyDeleteYou have always been a great example to me. I know you will be able to overcome this obstacle with your great attitude.
ReplyDeleteAllison you are amazing. Ever since we worked together in primary I have looked up to you as someone I would like to be like. I know you can get through this. Please let all of us who love you carry you through this as much as we can. If you ever need anything, a chocolate fix at midnight for example, please give me a call. You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!
ReplyDelete